Phone: (518)464-9003 | Fax: (518)464-9340 | Email: Info@thomasjordanlaw.com | 4 Pine West Plaza, Suite 409 | Albany, NY 12205
Recent Cases & Results
Contract Settlements/Interest Arbitration Awards
1. Middletown Firefighters (May 2017) Settled an eight (8) year contract at an interest arbitration hearing with raises totaling 15.25% with retro pay and other compensation items with minor give backs.
2. Bethlehem Police settled a three (3) year contract for 2% raises in each of the three (3) years (2015-2017) and additional salary compensation steps worth an additional 3.75% to those who qualify.
3. Albany Firefighters win two(2) year interest-arbitration award giving them 3% and 2.5% salary increases.
4. Glens Falls Firefighters settle for 2½% annual salary increases for four(4) years beginning on January 1, 2013 and an increase in health insurance buy-out.
5. Niskayuna Firefighters settle a four(4) year contract. Beginning 1/1/17, annual salary increases are 2.5%, 2.5%, 2.5%, 2.5% and paramedic and longevity stipends are increased.
6. Cohoes Firefighters settle a four(4) year contract. Beginning 1/1/2015 annual salary increases are 2%, 1.25%, 1.5%, 1.25% with retro and no givebacks.
1. July, 2017: NYS Disability Support Assistant granted performance of duty disability retirement after a redetermination and hearing. Read full decision →.
2. June, 2017: New York State Trooper granted disability retirement for low back injury after a redetermination hearing. Read full decision →
3. February, 2017: Cohoes firefighter granted performance of duty disability retirement for a knee injury.
4. January, 2017: Plattsburgh firefighter granted performance of duty disability retirement for low back and leg injuries.
5. December, 2016: Mt. Vernon firefighter granted performance of duty disability for low back injury.
6. April, 2016: Green Island Firefighter approved for Performance of Duty Disability Retirement.
7. December, 2015: Police officer settles wrongful termination case for $275,000.
8. April, 2015: Corrections Corporal approved for Article 15 Disability Retirement.
10. March, 2014 – Appellate Court reinstates disabled 207-a firefighter’s lawsuit against municipal employer which substantially increased his health insurance contribution upon his retirement. Read full decision →
11. January, 2014 – Appellate Division overturns comptroller’s determination denying corrections officer performance of duty disability benefits and grants the benefits. Read full decision →
12. September, 2013 – NYS Corrections Lieutenant wins redetermination and hearing on Retirement System’s denial of performance of duty disability benefits. Read full decision →
13. January, 2013 – Utica police officer granted an accidental disability retirement after car accident left her with brain injury.
14. January, 2013 – Cohoes Firefighter granted performance of duty disability after slip and fall on ice at a fire. Read full decision →
15. January, 2013 – State Trooper granted accidental retirement disability after car accident and a redetermination hearing. Read full decision →
1. November, 2017: Watervliet Firefighters win arbitration award restoring Medicare Part B premium reimbursement received from City when they become Medicare eligible. Read full decision →.
2. June, 2017: NYS Supreme Court confirms arbitrator’s award finding City of Albany violated the collective bargaining agreement with firefighters by unilaterally imposing $250/$500 health insurance deductibles on them when they retire. Read full decision →
3. January 2014: NYS Supreme Court confirms arbitrator’s award finding the City of Albany violated the collective bargaining agreement with the firefighters by assigning certain building inspections traditionally and exclusively done by them to non-bargaining unit members. Read full decision →
4. May, 2013: Albany Firefighters win arbitration award prohibiting the City from illegally subcontracting code inspection work exclusively performed by the firefighters.
5. 2012: Albany firefighter’s Medicare Part B reimbursement restored on arbitrator’s decision. Read full decision →
6. 2011: Watervliet firefighter awarded 207-a benefits after denial by City, when injured during a training exercise. Read full decision →