Phone: (518)464-9003 | Fax: (518)464-9340 | Email: Info@thomasjordanlaw.com | 4 Pine West Plaza, Suite 409 | Albany, NY 12205
Recent Cases & Results
Contract Settlements/Interest Arbitration Awards
1. Albany Retired Firefighters (February 2020) Settled a 5 year lawsuit against the City of Albany regarding Medicare Part B premium reimbursement. City to pay more than $300,000 in retroactive reimbursements and to pay all future reimbursements.
2. Guilderland Employees Association (February 2020) Guilderland Bus Drivers, Attendants and Mechanics settle a three (3) year contract with raises between 4.1% and 15.1% per year. (No one got less than 5.4 per year over the 3 years.)
3. Albany Firefighters (September 2018) Settled a five (5) year contract with raises totaling 8% with no give backs.
4. Glens Falls Firefighters (January 2018) Settled a four (4) year contract. Beginning January 1, 2018, annual salary increases are 2%, 2%, 2%, 2% with increases in clothing allowance and sick leave payout with minor give backs.
5. Middletown Firefighters (May 2017) Settled an eight (8) year contract at an interest arbitration hearing with raises totaling 15.25% with retro pay and other compensation items with minor give backs.
6. Bethlehem Police settled a three (3) year contract for 2% raises in each of the three (3) years (2015-2017) and additional salary compensation steps worth an additional 3.75% to those who qualify.
7. Niskayuna Firefighters settle a four(4) year contract. Beginning 1/1/17, annual salary increases are 2.5%, 2.5%, 2.5%, 2.5% and paramedic and longevity stipends are increased.
8. Cohoes Firefighters settle a four(4) year contract. Beginning 1/1/2015 annual salary increases are 2%, 1.25%, 1.5%, 1.25% with retro and no givebacks.
1. January 2020: Albany Fire Captain granted Accidental Disability Retirement for Esophageal Cancer.
2. January 2020: Broome County Correctional Facility Dentist granted Ordinary Disability Retirement for severe knee injury.
3. January 2020: Onondaga County Sheriff granted Accidental Disability Retirement as a result of an on-duty motor vehicle accident.
4. November 2019: NYS Thruway Authority Mechanic granted Article 15 Disability Retirement due to an on-the-job knee injury.
5. May 2019: Watertown Firefighter’s dependents granted Public Safety Officer Death Benefit ($350,000).
6. February 2019: Onondaga Sheriff granted performance of duty disability retirement.
7. July, 2018: Syracuse police officer granted an accidental disability retirement after a car accident left him with a brain injury.
8. July, 2018: NYS Corrections Officer granted performance of duty disability retirement for post traumatic stress disorder.
9. June, 2018: Saratoga County Sheriff granted performance of duty disability retirement for a shoulder injury.
11. February, 2018: Watertown Firefighter granted World Trade Center Accidental Disability based on exposures during 9/11.
12. July, 2017: NYS Disability Support Assistant granted performance of duty disability retirement after a redetermination and hearing. Read full decision ?.
13. June 2017: New York State Trooper granted disability retirement for low back injury after a redetermination hearing. Read full decision ?
14. February 2017: Cohoes firefighter granted performance of duty disability retirement for a knee injury.
15. January 2017: Plattsburgh firefighter granted performance of duty disability retirement for low back and leg injuries.
16. December 2016: Mt. Vernon firefighter granted performance of duty disability for low back injury.
17. December 2015: Police officer settles wrongful termination case for $275,000.
18. April 2015: Corrections Corporal approved for Article 15 Disability Retirement.
19. March 2014: – Appellate Court reinstates disabled 207-a firefighter’s lawsuit against municipal employer which substantially increased his health insurance contribution upon his retirement. Read full decision ?
20. January 2014: – Appellate Division overturns comptroller’s determination denying corrections officer performance of duty disability benefits and grants the benefits. Read full decision ?
21. September 2013: – NYS Corrections Lieutenant wins redetermination and hearing on Retirement System’s denial of performance of duty disability benefits. Read full decision ?
22. January 2013: – Cohoes Firefighter granted performance of duty disability after slip and fall on ice at a fire. Read full decision ?
19. January 2013: – State Trooper granted accidental retirement disability after car accident and a redetermination hearing. Read full decision ?
1. October 2019:: Albany Firefighter granted 207-a for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
2. June 2019:: Cohoes Firefighter awarded 207-a benefits for injury occurring 20 years ago. Read full decision.
3. June 2019:: NYS Supreme Court Judge overturns arbitrator’s award which failed to grant Albany Firefighter’s a remedy. Read full decision.
4. February 2019:: NYS Appellate Division reverses NYS Supreme Court Judge’s decision and restores Albany Firefighter Retirees’ Medicare Part B premium reimbursements. Read full decision.
5. November 2017:: Watervliet Firefighters win arbitration award restoring Medicare Part B premium reimbursement received from City when they become Medicare eligible. Read full decision.
6. June 2017:: NYS Supreme Court confirms arbitrator’s award finding City of Albany violated the collective bargaining agreement with firefighters by unilaterally imposing $250/$500 health insurance deductibles on them when they retire. Read full decision
7. January 2014:: NYS Supreme Court confirms arbitrator’s award finding the City of Albany violated the collective bargaining agreement with the firefighters by assigning certain building inspections traditionally and exclusively done by them to non-bargaining unit members. Read full decision
View More Cases...
8. May 2013:: Albany Firefighters win arbitration award prohibiting the City from illegally subcontracting code inspection work exclusively performed by the firefighters.
9. 2012:: Albany firefighter’s Medicare Part B reimbursement restored on arbitrator’s decision. Read full decision
10. 2011:: Watervliet firefighter awarded 207-a benefits after denial by City, when injured during a training exercise. Read full decision